Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Corn Chowder


Yesterday I was sitting at my desk pondering the fact that I had not enjoyed nearly enough corn this summer. This is not what I am supposed to be doing at my desk. Suddenly it hit me, "corn chowder!!". I spent the rest of my time at work trying to figure out how I was going to do all that I had to do and secure quality ingredients for my stew. I was on a mission.

As much as I want tot say that I always produce healthy, fresh, nutritious meals for my family, those instances are fewer and farther between than I would like. Yesterday I happened to be wearing "killer" heels against my better judgement. Wearing "killer" heels is always against my better judgement but that doesn't stop me from wearing them. As a result my shoes and I went shopping with The Prince at Union Square after school. It was a good day at the market even though I can no longer go there without considering all the farmers not making it in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene.

$20 and two stops later my feet were killing me. I mean really KILLING ME.

The Prince was no help when to came to carrying the 25 lbs. of groceries home so I soldiered on in my"killer" heels; the "killer" becoming more appropriate with every step. An older man on the subway actually offered me a seat. Was my pain that apparent? The Prince wanted the seat, but I held firm.

Finally arriving home I removed the shoes and got down to the business of corn chowder. I shucked and removed the kernels from 6 ears of corn and used a box grater to get at the corn milk. Potatoes, poblanos, onions, celery, tomatoes, some spices and a healthy dose of dairy pulled it all together.

The Prince was working on his homework and I sat dutifully updating my resume. Denial arrived about 7:00 and proclaimed that the house smelled good. Hooray!

Homework, dinner, update resume (for about 15 minutes), Adventure Time With Finn and Jake, Regular Show, put The Prince to bed... suddenly the resolution I made to tackle the list of things that needed to be done that I made at work, instead of working, is looking more and more impossible. The best of intentions, the best laid plans.

Knitting, TV, sleep.


http://www.grownyc.org/

No comments: